Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Undo the Weekend?

So we had our second appointment with Jeannie Sykes, the Nutritionist at the Family Practice Center. We discussed emotional eating and eating for non-hunger reasons. Lauren and I BOTH do this, but in different ways. Lauren eats when she's bored, I eat when I'm happy or when I'm mad and we're both BIG social eaters. We both get stuck in the mindset of "oh, it's the weekend... its free for all" while we are out with friends. There is no such thing as being good or bad. You shouldn't have to justify why you are eating a certain thing that is "bad." I find myself doing that quite often. That was the case this weekend when I ate a bowl of Fried Oreo's. :( This is where we are beginning to struggle with our lifestyle changes. To quote Jeannie she said: "You aren't on a diet, the diet is the food you eat." "Diets" are quick and don't last you a lifetime... making healthier choices do.

I think we both realized today that we spend the first 2-3 days of the week undoing what we did on the weekend. We shouldn't have to do that. We both would be FAR FAR ahead if we didn't waste these 2 days on undoing those horrible weekends that come along every week. We both are VERY disciplined during the week, in part because we are together 40+ hours a week. You can't skip weekends, end of story. Our challenge for the next few weeks is to be more structured in our eating during the weekends. Alot of this is going to take some knowledge of making better food choices when eating out at restaurants. Everyone needs to indulge sometime or another... just not overdo it and get stuck in the downward spiral of overeating.

So... I think this will be our biggest challenge yet and I KNOW we can do it!


2 comments:

  1. Great post! It's so true that you just can't have the "diet" mentality. It's a lifestyle and a whole new way of life to adapt to!

    I've found the most difficult thing, but also the "best" thing, for me, is indulging in moderation. You'd think it's easy to listen to your cravings and indulge them with just one square of chocolate (versus not having any chocolate) but it's actually really hard. It takes practice and patience and many many slip-ups but it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I overindulged this weekend!! Thanks for your encouraging words!!

    ReplyDelete