Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Overwhelmed...

We met with Jeannie (the Registered Dietitian) and I am feeling a bit overwhelmed. She put us on a Diabetic Exchange diet where we have a certain number of starches, meat, milk, veggies, fruits, and fats.

8 Starch (1/2 cup = 1 serving)
8 Meat (1 oz = 1 serving)
2 Milk (1 cup = 1 serving)
3 Fruit
4 Veggies
5 Fat

(Ends up being about an 1800 calorie diet)

It's called an exchange for a reason... so I don't lose my mind. For instance, tonight I will be exchanging a few starches for meat. Since I ate all 8oz of my meat in grilled chicken at lunch, I'll eat about 6oz of salmon for dinner instead of having 6 starches.


Everything is new and it will take some getting used to, but I like that there's flexibility in this plan. Now I just need to get used to planning my meals and watching those portions!




No comments:

Post a Comment